Laserfiche WebLink
answer was offered. The manager said he wanted to meet with the BOCC to discuss habitat <br />issues. I told him to send an email request and I will request a study session with the BOCC. <br />The manager expressed the BOCC doesn’t understand what constitutes an imminent <br />emergency. I explained the county is storing trees from the R/W for WDFW usage in future <br />habitat projects. The county is also willing to allow for the moving of the Hansen levee during <br />the USBR Schaake levee relocation project to allow for more space to afford the Yakima River <br />more movement. The manager also told me any debris collected at bridges is best left in the <br />river for downstream habitat. I admitted that was something he didn’t know previously. <br />04/22/09 - The Chairman of the BOCC requested I contact the manager at NMFS in Ellensburg <br />to discuss the project. I contacted the manager and explained the biologists do not have the <br />authority to over-rule the BOCC declaration. The manager agreed. The manager expressed <br />concerns of the Corps damaging all of the trees in the area without proper mitigation. I <br />explained we cannot use the emergency status to rape the environment. We would still be <br />obligated to mitigate after the emergency subsides. The manager did not seem to be <br />convinced. The manager later said if the trees he wants saved are not protected he will contact <br />the SDCOE Commander and argue an emergency does not exist. I did not reply to this threat. <br />I agreed to protect some trees in a photograph he emailed to the manager. This agreement <br />was for emergency construction and they will be addressed during the mitigation and final <br />construction process later in the year. The manager agreed to not hold up the project any <br />longer. I reminded the manager the sites were not within a designated flood plain. Therefore, <br />the owners did not have flood insurance and all costs to recover would be paid for by the <br />owners. The manager stated the property owners will be able to recover in only ten years and <br />the environment will take much longer. I stated if money is mortgaged it could take 30 years. <br />Later that day I was at the site and emailed photos to the manager indicating several trees are <br />being eroded and will be probably be lost as a result of the lack of emergency response. Those <br />photos were also emailed to the Corps. <br />On 04/23/09 I contacted the Corps to determine what the status was. Construction was not <br />authorized as of 12:00. At approximately 9:20 I left a voice-mail message for the Cmdr of <br />SDCOE requesting he call back. The message explained trees are washing into the river. If the <br />biologists want to save the trees, we need to begin reconstruction activities ASAP. As of 12:00 <br />there was no reply. <br />04/27/09 – I was told by Corps personnel the emergency construction was to save all the trees. <br />04/29/09 – I visited the site to see progress. I was informed levee construction began. While <br />onsite, I was informed biologists from MNFS and Mike Scuderi was onsite earlier to discuss the <br />removal of trees from the project. <br />05/01/09 – Levee construction began. The levee was built between the existing shoreline and <br />the original location of the levee. The current is still moving toward the residences across the <br />stream but not as sharply into them. The boulders in the stream are still forcing the stream <br />toward the houses also. <br />